A Specialised Walking Experience
Our trails put you in the thick of things, with challenging hiking routes through Marataba’s pristine wilderness. Our concession is blessed with a diversity of regions and habitats, and trails lead past watering holes, into forested gorges, to historical interest areas, and over mountain crests presenting Africa in all its magnificence. Our expert trails guides will advice on suitable routes based on your group’s preferences and fitness levels.
Two senior trails guides will accompany you, no matter the size of your group. They are FGASA-accredited, with many years of experience in leading hiking trails within Big Five territories. Other than for their extensive knowledge of the concession, they have been carefully chosen on their ability to interact with you and make you feel at ease. Your safety is our first priority, and trails guides carry first-aid kits and satellite phones at all times.
- Departures*: Year-round, on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays
- Departure times: 06h00 for 06h15 in summer | 07h00 for 07h15 in winter
- Departure points: From the lodges, with transfers to the trail starts
- Duration: 3 to 4 hours, depending on the terrain, guests’ fitness levels, and weather | 8-hour trails can be arranged for the more intrepid hiker
- Minimum number of guests: 2
- Maximum number of guests: 6, depending on the trail route
- Minimum guest age: 16 years
*The trail hike takes place instead of the morning game drive on these days
Please note: Marataba Trails are more interpretive than safaris. Their purpose is to immerse you in nature, rather than just observing it, reconnecting you with life at its simplest and most wonderful. The focus is not on tracking animals, although your group may encounter some along the way.